Dementia is a heartbreaking illness that affects countless individuals across the globe. Unfortunately, there are still various inaccuracies surrounding this condition and its effects on those who struggle with it. To provide clarity on dementia, here are five facts you may be unaware of about it – from its origins to how it influences mental health – which will aid all of us in gaining more insight into dementia so we can better assist those battling with this disorder each day.
1. Dementia is a collective term for an array of diseases and conditions exhibiting similar traits. Alzheimer’s Disease, vascular dementia, Lewy Body dementia, and frontotemporal dementia – these are some of the more common underlying causes of Dementia; however, there are even further issues that can lead to this symptom set.
2. Although dementia is often associated with memory loss, it can also have a profound effect on other cognitive functions. Reasoning and problem-solving abilities may be compromised in those suffering from the condition even if their memories remain intact. This means that anyone has the potential to experience this debilitating disease – not just those who are already suffering from memory deficits.
3. Oftentimes, depression in people with dementia is overlooked; however, it can be present in up to 40% of these individuals. Hence, we must pay attention to the signs and symptoms so they are provided proper care.
4. Exercise is integral to managing dementia. Regular physical activity can not only bolster mental functioning, but in certain cases, it can even slow down the progress of this condition.
5. While dementia is an irreversible and potentially fatal ailment, it’s important to remember that those afflicted by this condition can still live meaningful lives. With proper care and support, they will be able to partake in activities such as socialization or pursuing hobbies they love. In other words, individuals living with dementia should not feel limited – instead, there are a plethora of opportunities for them to continue their life journey!
Dementia is a devastating condition that affects millions of people around the world.
How Avanti Senior Living at Flower Mound Helps Residents with Dementia
By understanding more about dementia, we can better provide care for those living with it. This is where Avanti Senior Living at Flower Mound comes in. Our team of caregivers is highly trained in providing special care to residents with dementia and remains committed to creating an atmosphere that promotes graceful aging. We believe everyone is entitled to compassionate support; however, for those living with dementia, our staff make it their mission to ensure they can continue doing the activities they love!
If you require additional information or support, please reach out to Avanti Senior Living at Flower Mound and/or your local Alzheimer’s Association. By uniting together, we can bring forth meaningful change in the lives of individuals struggling with dementia.